The Best Beef Noodle or Ngiu Chap in Kota Kinabalu


I love Ngiu Chap or Beef Noodles but since turning 40 I have cut down my beef intake. Not that it did any good to improve my cholesterol level. The best part about this dish for me is the beef balls.



I always save the balls for last to be eaten soaked with soy sauce. When I was younger this was all I ate. I remembered my first beef ball eaten under the Big Tree near the old cinema where Wisma Tun Fuad Stephens currently stands. The balls were not machine made so they were in an oval shape and has a softer texture. The old seller is probably dead and his beef ball recipe goes with him because I cannot find any that is even close to it. 

KK have plenty of Beef Noodle Shops scattered all around the city but two of the notable ones is Kah Hiong and Yii Siang. These two are not only popular but also most pricey. 

Kah Hiong Ngiu Chap



Kah Hiong is without say the best in Town. Their main shop is at Hilltop Commercail Center. The broth is rich and very tasty. Priced at RM9 a bowl you also can say it is one of the pricey ones.

Yii Siang Hainan Ngiu Chap



Yii Siang is located in Kolombong (mile 6, Jalan Tuaran). I find the broth unique but not quite there for me. However I have to give them points for their extremely generous portion of beef in a bowl. Just look at the photo below and count the balls. More than others. :)



Yii Siang is the only beef noodle shop that offers Laksa Beef Noodle which I tried and thought it was not too bad in taste. Very rich and not overly spicy. Its worth trying if you are nearby. Priced at RM9.00 per bowl

Kedai Kopi Loi Kee & Kedai Kopi Lai Heng Bar

Both Kedai Kopi is located at Bornion Center Luyang. Both shop has been existence for a very long time and most Chinese folks will know of this place. Their Ngiu Chap is clear broth type and they are not as pricey as the above two. Approximately RM7 a bowl.

Mee & Cake House



Recently Mee & Cake's Ngiu Chap seemed to have gain popularity. Its not the best Ngiu Chap in town because the broth quality is never consistent but definitely one of the cheapest at RM6.50 per bowl. I normally go to their outlet at Komplek Karamunsing located on the 3rd floor. The shop is called SIMPLE BITES.

Kedai Kopi Cheng Wah




My dad said this is his favorite Ngau Chap noodle shop because of the soup being similar to soto soup flavor. He also claimed that the beef is tender and soft which is good for those old folks with no teeth.


This shop is located at 88 market place.

Menggatal Ngau Chap



The famous Menggatal Ngau Chap is actually located at Kedai Kopi Nyuk Pau Baru. It is right at the back with some twist and turn to find it. Google map is pretty accurate so it is not difficult to find this shop.


I have heard of the all so famous Menggatal Ngau Chap. Sadly I did not find their beef noodle as nice as those mentioned above. The soup has a strong beefy smell to it. The fresh meat was too chewy, not tender and cut in giant size. You can see in the picture that the person who cut this meat does not even know how to cut it properly. Instead of cutting against the grain of the meat, they cut along it which of course makes it chewy.

Some more the price per bowl was RM12. That is extremely pricey considering the location.  Not a place I will come back to.


Comments